Dr. Milton C. Lapp passed peacefully in his sleep, surrounded by his wife and daughters, on November 2, 2017 (the 121st anniversary of his father’s birth).
Dr. Lapp was born on February 8, 1927 to Chauncey M. Lapp, MD and Loretta (Nicholson) Lapp in Buffalo, NY. He was married to Margret Munzesheimer in 1953.
Raised in Corning, Dr. Lapp attended Corning area schools and Billard Academy in New London, CT, graduating in 1944. He attended the University of Buffalo from September 1944 – June 1952 when he received his Medical Degree. College was interrupted by service in the Navy from January 1945 to August 1946. Dr. Lapp trained at the Buffalo General Hospital and completed his surgical residency in June 1957. He was a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Lapp practiced medicine in Corning with his father from 1957 to 1967 after which he continued in solo practice until 1982. He served as Chief of Surgery and President of the Staff at Corning Hospital. He also served as President of Steuben County Medical Society and Chairman of the Steuben County Public Health Committee. He served as a FAA Medical Flight Examiner for many years.
Dr. Lapp served as Presidents of the Corning Lions Club, Visiting Nurse Association, and as Vice President of Corning Chamber of Commerce. He also served on several boards of volunteer organizations including BSA Camp Gorton Health Committee.
Following training at the Submarine Medical School in New London, CT, and the Experimental Diving Unit and Medical Research unit in Washington, DC and Bethesda, Dr. Lapp introduced pulmonary function testing at the Corning Hospital and, with the assistance of Dr. Dallas Billman, Mr. Thomas Sherwood and Prof. Gin Gee established Project Lake Diver for the study of physiologic responses of scuba divers to cold water emersion. Several scientific papers were published and the facilities became an important training facility for college students for work in environmental studies and limnology.
Dr. Lapp was recognized by the Governor of New York for his work as the area Health Officer during Hurricane Agnes flood recovery in 1972.
He was invited to establish the Student Health Service at Corning Community College by First President, Dr. William Perry, in 1959. He served with the Student Health Service at CCC until 1982. He also served as Medical Director of Founders Pavilion and first Chairman of the Corning Hospital Infection Control Committee.
Dr. Lapp was an active Naval Reservist from 1946 after his release from active duty service, until his discharge in February 1987. He was recalled to active duty as Director Naval Reserve Medical Programs in 1982 until his retirement. He served as a representative to NATO CIOMR (reserve medical officers) from 1976 – 1988. He was elected to membership of NATO Chapter Order of Knights of Jerusalem.
After retiring from the Navy in 1987, Capt. Lapp chartered the South Florida Commandery of The Naval Order of The United States, as its first commander. The Naval Order is our oldest Sea Service Military Order, founded in 1890. He continued as the Commander for 10 years, raising money for the preservation of the various Naval historical groups in South Florida and promoting a wider understanding of the need for a strong Naval Service.
Capt. Lapp is a Vice Commander of the American Legion, Ward – Chenault Post.
Dr. Lapp is survived by his wife of 64 years, Margret, as well as his three daughters: Susan Lapp (James Phelps) of Burke, VA, Gretchen (Arthur) Hamlin of Skaneateles, NY, and Dr. Julia Lapp of Ithaca, NY. He was predeceased by his son Dr. Josef (Connie) Lapp. Dr. Lapp has five grandchildren and one great grandson. His also survived by his sister, Lucretia Meister of Mount Dora, FL and his brother, Chauncey (Diane) Lapp, Jr. of The Villages, FL.
A memorial service will be held at a later date.
In lieu of flowers, the family ask that donations be made to either: the Memorial Scholarship Fund of Corning First Presbyterian Church or to Care First – formerly Hospice (www.carefirstny.org)
Dr. Lapp’s family entrusted his care to Haughey Funeral Home, Inc.